What to do in case of a dental emergency?
I Need to See the Dentist Right Now; What Should I Do? What to do if you have a dental emergency
Chances are at some point in your life, either you or someone you love will have a dental emergency, and you won't know what to do. That’s why the professionals at Associates in Family Dentistry in Avon, Indiana are here to help.
What Is a Dental Emergency?
A dental emergency can be an injury to your face, gums, cheeks or lips. It can also involve loose, broken or cracked teeth, or your tooth can be knocked out. Common causes of dental emergencies are:
- An accident or trauma
- A sports injury
- Untreated dental problems
A dental emergency can be scary for everyone, but it is important not to panic. You can prepare in advance for a dental emergency by having some things handy, including:
- Your dentist’s phone number
- Gauze or tissue
- Saline solution
- A small container and lid
If you have a dental emergency, the first step is to help yourself. You can treat the area immediately. Just remember:
- If you have an injury to the soft tissue of your face, clean the area and gently press gauze to it to stop the bleeding.
- If you chip or fracture your tooth, rinse out your mouth and apply ice if there is swelling. Take Ibuprofen for pain.
- If you loosen a tooth, try to move it back into correct position by using very gentle movements of your fingers.
- If you knock your tooth out completely, gently rinse it and place it in your mouth to keep it from drying out. It is best to hold it between your gums and cheek. Always hold your tooth by the crown, not the root. If you can’t hold the tooth in your mouth, place it in a small container with saline solution.
In all of these cases, you must call your dentist and get in as soon as possible, especially if you have knocked your tooth out completely. You may be able to save the tooth if not too much time has passed. If you are unable to reach the after hours dentist at Associates in Family Dentistry, be sure and go to an emergency room at the hospital to treat acute problems that cannot wait until the next day.
If you or a loved one has a dental emergency, make sure you have your dentist’s emergency or after-hours number handy. The professionals at Associates in Family Dentistry in Avon, Indiana are here to treat your dental emergency, so don’t panic. Call them if you need help with your dental emergency and don’t wait!